The Virginia Forest Landowner Education Program (VFLEP), in conjunction with numerous state, federal and private partners, offers a wide variety of science-based educational opportunities for new and experienced forest landowners. VFLEP also offers continuing education opportunities for natural resource and real estate professionals. Click a tab below, or use the navigation at the top of this page, to find out more about VFLEP's offerings.
Explore the learning opportunities VFLEP and its partners offer to find the one that's right for you.
The Events Calendar lists all upcoming landowner programs.
On-line registration is available for many programs.
The Virginia Forest Landowner Update is an award-winning quarterly newsletter. Articles cover a wide variety of topics, including cost share programs, wildlife and timber management, exotic invasive species, and management planning. Read the current edition; read archived editions. Sign-up to receive your free copy.
Find resources for topics including:
To reach landowners early on in their tenure, the Virginia Forest Landowner Education Program (VFLEP) developed the Real Forestry for Real Estate program. This program has three components:
Listen to Virginia woodland owners share their stories about the impacts of the Virginia Forest Landowner Education Program on their land managment practices.
13th Annual Woods & Wildlife Conference
- February 25th
- Daniel Technology Center, Culpeper
- $45/person; $80/couple
- Detailed agenda
- Program is full
- March 17-19
- Holiday Lake 4-H Educational Center
- On-line registration is open
- Mail-in registration is open
- March 23, Lynchburg
- March 30, Amherst
- April 6, Bedford
Community Resources for Woodland Owners
- March 25, Abingdon
- April 8, Kingsport
Apps & Websites
- Google Earth Pro Tutorial
- Web Soil Survey Tutorial
- VT Tree Identification App available for Android and iPhone users
- Are you a Smart Phone user? Check out this list of forestry Apps
- February 2017 e-newsletter
- January 2017 e-newsletter
- Winter 2017 Virginia Forest Landowner Update
- Welcome to the Woods! A Guide for New Virginia Woodland Owners
- Family Resource Inventory - Set Your Management Goals
- Tax Tips for Forest Landowners for the 2016 Tax Year
- Hiring an Arborist to Care for your Landscape Trees