On-line Woodland Options for Landowners
This 12-week self-paced on-line course teaches the fundamentals of forest management.
- Setting management goals and objectives
- Forest history
- Stewardship and sustainability
- Marking your boundary lines, and locating, reading, and understanding your deed
- Using maps, photos, Google Earth, and soil surveys
- Forest ecology and management
- Sources of assistance and planning options
Upon completion of the program, you can have a draft forest management plan. Natural resource professionals serve as mentors and the class winds up with an optional end-of-the-semester hands-on field trip.
There are two levels of participation.
- Basic level - requires completing reading assignments, quizzes and evaluations (1-2 hours per Module)
- Advanced level - includes all of the basic level requirements, plus field activities (3 or more hours per Module, depending on the size of your property)
Participants can choose to complete none, some, or all of the advanced level activities.
All students will receive 4 books:
- Common Forest Trees of Virginia
- Forest Sustainability: The History, The Challenge, The Promise
- American Forests: A History of Resiliency and Recovery
- Plant Invaders of Mid-Atlantic Natural Areas
As well as a Tree ID CD.
Over 1,000 landowners across the US have participated in this class.
Virginia's SHARP Logger Program has assembled a series of on-line trainings for continuing educaiton for logging professionals. However, many of these topics are of interest to private woodland owners, Master Naturalists, Master Gardeners, and professional foresters as well. These on-line training programs are available year-round and free of charge.
Current topics include:
Are you interested in non-timber forest products and woodland medicinals such as shiitake mushrooms, ginseng, and goldenseal? The Forest Farming Network, a collaboration of forest farmers, University faculty, and agency personnel, has a series of videos on growing and harvesting a wide-variety of these types of products.