Virginia Tech® home

Contact a Natural Resources Professional

Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) puts university knowledge into the hands of people. We are credible experts and educators who provide information, education, and tools you can use every day to improve your life. For forestry information, contact the State VFLEP Coordinator or your local Forestry &  Natural Resource District Agent. Click here to find the District Agent for your county.  To learn about VCE's other services, visit their website at:

The Virginia Forest Landowner Education Program (VFLEP) helps Virginia's landowners keep their woodlands healthy and productive by providing scientifically-based management information.  Information is disseminated via newsletters, short courses, field tours, workshops, publications and social media.   Visit or call 540/231-6391 for more information.

The Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) provides technical forest management assistance to forest landowners. The VDOF administers a number of cost share and land conservation programs. In addition, seedlings can be purchased from their nurseries. Find a forester near you.

The Virginia Forestry Association (VFA) is the state's private forestry association. Members include forest landowners, foresters, loggers, and forest industry. VFA represents the forestry community in Richmond, enhances public perceptions of forestry, and promotes sustainable forestry. Visit their website or call 804/276-8733 for more information.

American Tree Farm System (ATFS) is the oldest forest certification system in the world. The mission is to promote the growing of renewable forest resources on private lands while protecting environmental benefits and increasing public understanding of all benefits of productive forestry. Each state has its own committee. Landowners meeting ATFS standards and guidelines can become Certified Tree Farmers. For more information, visit their website; for local information, visit the Virginia Tree Farm Foundation's website, and find a Tree Farm Inspector.

The Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) manages Virginia's wildlife and inland fish, provides educational opportunities for boating, fishing and hunting. They also set regulations for hunting and fishing and sell licenses. Wildlife biologists are available to assist landowners with developing wildlife management plans. Contact a Private Lands Biologist or call their central office at 804/367-1000 for assistance.

The Virginia Department of Conservation & Recreation (VDCR) manages Virginia's 35 State Parks and 4 undeveloped parks. Many parks have activities scheduled throughout the year. They also manage 54 natural areas. In addition, VDCR administers the Dam Safety Act, 24 Scenic River segments, Adopt-A-Stream Program, and the Land Conservation Office and the Natural Heritage Program. Visit their website or call their central office at 804/786-1712 for assistance.  

The Virginia Outdoors Foundation (VOF) is the State Land Trust. Its mission is to promote the preservation of open-space lands. VOF holds conservation easements on over 550,000 acres in Virginia. For more information, visit their website, call their central office at 540/347-7727, or contact your regional office.

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) provides both cost-share and technical assistance to Virginia's landowners.  Visit their website for a complete listing of landowner services.  

Virginia's Soil & Water Conservation Districts (SWCD) were established in the 1930s to develop comprehensive programs and plans to conserve soil resources, control and prevent soil erosion, prevent floods and conserve, develop, utilize and dispose water. Today, forty-seven districts serve as local resources for citizens in nearly all Virginia localities.  Visit their website to find your District.