Over 1,500 Virginia woodland owners have attended this annual conference. A variety of break-out sessions are offered to appeal to both new and experienced owners, as well as owners of both small and large woodlots.
In addition, representatives from Virginia's natural resource agencies are available to inform participants of the services available to them.
The 14th Annual Woods & Wildlife Conference was held on February 24, 2018 at the Daniel Technology Center, Germanna Community College, Culpeper. Stay tuned for details on the 2019 Conferences. That's right! In 2019, we're adding a second Woods & Wildlife Conference in the Roanoke area.
Topics covered in 2018 included:
- Scientific and social challenges of timber harvesting on private lands
- Early successional habitat: Why and how?
- Invasive species update
- Forest pollinators
- Case study: The Shenandoah National Park Fire
- Selling timber: Panel of practitioners
- Snags: Dead trees are good
- Introduction to wild edibles
- Pine savannahs: Where wildlife and pine production intersect
- Habitat triage and congnitive mapping
- Frogging by ear
- Coyotes in Virginia: Here today and here to stay
View presentations from previous conference.
What previous participants are saying:
"I enjoyed meeting other landowners from the area; excellent presentations. I'd attend again."
"Excellent conference. I always learn something new when attending the conference."
"This is my second conference and will not be my last. It is well-run and always enjoyable, and I come away with a great deal of useful knowledge. Thank you!"
Upcoming Conferences and Workshops
Annual Woods & Wildlife Conferences
- February 23, 2019
- Germanna Commnity College, Culpeper
- Virginia Western Community College, Roanoke
- Details available Fall 2018
All dinners are $10/person; includes dinner.
Chrissy's Tree Farm
- July 24
- 4:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- Registration is closed
Kirk Tree Farm
Middle Mountain Farm
Register on-line for all
- July 19-20, Abingdon
- This program is being rescheduled for November
- July 27-28, Lynchburg
- Register by mail
- Register on-line for either